[Twisted-web] Need Help

Werner Thie werner at thieprojects.ch
Mon Jul 29 16:10:17 MDT 2013

On 7/29/13 10:42 AM, Glyph wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2013, at 12:48 PM, George Pauly <george at ringdevelopment.com
> <mailto:george at ringdevelopment.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 14:01 -0400, D Brian Kimmel wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I have a large home automation project that uses twisted.
>>> I am adding a web interface and need athena for COMET activity.
>>>
>>> I have been having a very hard time finding any current documentation
>>> to help
>>> me get the athena part working.
>>> I am looking for brains to pick on getting this portion working bi-
>>> directionally.
>>
>> websockets is the way to go.  Very simple on both ends.  You may still
>> need to import this separately into your code, however it seems pretty
>> well developed.  Except docs.  However, docs are hardly needed, just
>> follow an example.
>
> Athena is more portable than websockets, and besides, does a lot more.
>   You could replace the implementation of Athena's message passing with
> websockets for better performance on browsers that support it, and the
> interface to the user would not visibly change.
>
> So I would say stick with Nevow and maybe send a patch to it to add
> websocket support if you need it.
>
> (Contingent, of course, upon you finding someone to help you with it...)
>
> Some docs are available here:
> <http://divmod.readthedocs.org/en/latest/products/nevow/index.html>.
>   Although they're incomplete (a partial snapshot of a wiki lost to a
> hardware failure), they might be able to get you started.
>
> Good luck,

Hi Brian

I've written a few Nevow/Athena based game servers in the last years,
and I'm still convinced that I have chosen the right technology for the
problems at hand. Time given, I might tackle the coding to have the
underlying transport to be switched to websockets when available as
Glyph suggested, but currently I see no performance issues and the
servers are running with uptimes now measured in years.

So, I'm offering my brain to be picked - Werner