[Twisted-web] Need Help

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jul 29 14:42:46 MDT 2013

On Jul 29, 2013, at 12:48 PM, George Pauly <george at ringdevelopment.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 14:01 -0400, D Brian Kimmel wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have a large home automation project that uses twisted.
>> I am adding a web interface and need athena for COMET activity.
>>
>> I have been having a very hard time finding any current documentation to help
>> me get the athena part working.
>> I am looking for brains to pick on getting this portion working bi-
>> directionally.
>
> websockets is the way to go.  Very simple on both ends.  You may still
> need to import this separately into your code, however it seems pretty
> well developed.  Except docs.  However, docs are hardly needed, just
> follow an example.

Athena is more portable than websockets, and besides, does a lot more.  You could replace the implementation of Athena's message passing with websockets for better performance on browsers that support it, and the interface to the user would not visibly change.

So I would say stick with Nevow and maybe send a patch to it to add websocket support if you need it.

(Contingent, of course, upon you finding someone to help you with it...)

Some docs are available here: <http://divmod.readthedocs.org/en/latest/products/nevow/index.html>.  Although they're incomplete (a partial snapshot of a wiki lost to a hardware failure), they might be able to get you started.

Good luck,

-glyph