[Twisted-web] Re: [Nevow-commits] r3904 - server-side (fragment) nesting, and convenience descriptor generator

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at cpushare.com
Fri Jan 13 06:58:24 MST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:43:12PM -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> You can browse it online:
> <http://divmod.org/trac/browser/trunk/Epsilon/epsilon>.  It amounts to a
> general utility library.

This lib totally depends on twisted, so IMHO it has to go in twisted SVN
repository. Otherwise why don't you move twisted.flow into divmod
repository?

> Well, I doubt we're ever going to optimize for that :)  If you want to
> track development, great, but it's not the common case, and it's definitely
> not how /I/ want to install software.  "apt get install ..." is much
> simpler, and being able to install every single package I use that way
> would make me quite happy.

Not everyone uses apt. For istance the only thing I upgrade in my server
is the python stack and the kernel and I use the core repositories for
that. Nothing else get updated (modulo the critical security updates). I
avoid to update anything else. I think it's the difference between
development and productivity. For development installing with rpm or apt
get may be fine.

But to me it's also a means of avoiding unnecessary steps, when this
thing is a twisted utility lib, it can go inside twisted repository just
fine, people will split the packages anyway, you already depend on
twisted.web so what, just add the dependency on twisted.epsilon, not
such a big deal, requiring a separate epslion package that infact
depends on twisted would be even confusing, so distro will make
twisted-epsilon not just epsilon.

> That said, I don't think you need to worry about an Epsilon dependency.
> Epsilon and Nevow are in the same SVN repository :)  If you are currently
> grabbing Nevow by checking out <http://divmod.org/svn/Divmod/trunk/Nevow>,
> you can keep things just as simple and get Epsilon, too, by checking out
> <http://divmod.org/svn/Divmod/trunk>.  Perhaps this will give you a few
> other things you're not interested in (Nevow is by far the largest package
> in the repository, though), but as you said, you have plenty of disk space.

That's better indeed.

>From an usability standpoint it makes not much difference given I
already track both twisted and divmod repository, but I believe
twisted.epsilon is more appropriate.

Another question is why you separate twisted and divmod repositories,
what's the point? Since you seem to own both of them, why don't you just
move all stuff in twistedmatrix.com into divmod repository? What's the
need of this separation? The website can stay, I mean the development
repositories.

My suggestion is a single SVN like this:

	Twisted/twisted/
	Twisted/twisted/epsilon
	Twisted/twisted/flow
	Zope/Interfaces (twisted readonly copy)
	Nevow/nevow
	Nevow/formless
	Nevow/forms
	Axiom/
	WhateverDivmodOpenSourceProject

If you don't mind mixing your productive "apps" with things like Nevow
and Epsilon that are in the same category as Twisted, why not to merge
Twisted into it as well. Perhaps if Twisted was there already, you have
done the natural choice of moving epsilon inside twisted.epsilon
already.

> [..] what hype?  What I remember is

That's a mistake from my part, I owe you an apology, I shouldn't have
used that word, I guess I read too many webpages about atop at the time
when I was researching how to design the storage of my app ;).

Keep up the great work!