[Twisted-web] Re: [Nevow-commits] r3904 - server-side (fragment) nesting, and convenience descriptor generator

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Jan 12 21:43:12 MST 2006

You can browse it online: <http://divmod.org/trac/browser/trunk/Epsilon/epsilon>.  It amounts to a general utility library.

>Perhaps you're right it worth
>it but without knowing the details I've some doubt. I'm really very
>annoyed by unnecessary dependencies. I want to checkout stuff from
>SVN/CVS repositories not eggs/rpm/deb.

Well, I doubt we're ever going to optimize for that :)  If you want to track development, great, but it's not the common case, and it's definitely not how /I/ want to install software.  "apt get install ..." is much simpler, and being able to install every single package I use that way would make me quite happy.

That said, I don't think you need to worry about an Epsilon dependency.  Epsilon and Nevow are in the same SVN repository :)  If you are currently grabbing Nevow by checking out <http://divmod.org/svn/Divmod/trunk/Nevow>, you can keep things just as simple and get Epsilon, too, by checking out <http://divmod.org/svn/Divmod/trunk>.  Perhaps this will give you a few other things you're not interested in (Nevow is by far the largest package in the repository, though), but as you said, you have plenty of disk space.

>BTW, I'm not a believer in axiom, I bought into the atop hype initially
>but about one year ago I luckily listened to Valentino that postgresql
>was much better choice. I think one should either don't use a db at all
>and index stuff by hand in the filesystem, or use a real DBMS
>(postgresql/mysql/commercial) [yes I know axiom can be ported from
>sqllite to othe things but I think if SQL is the backend, one would
>better understand SQL and write SQL by hand, SQL read committed semantics
>must be in the mind of the programmer or things will be racy in real life]

That's cool (although, I have to ask - what hype?  What I remember is telling everyone I could /not/ to use Atop ;).  Nevow is not going to come to depend on Axiom.  There's just no point.

Jean-Paul