[Twisted-Python] Enable pre-commit.ci for twisted/twisted

Adi Roiban adiroiban at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 04:37:41 MDT 2021

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 15:36, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Adi Roiban <adiroiban at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As part of this PR https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1619 Thomas
>> has requested to enable the https://pre-commit.ci  service for
>> twisted/twisted repository
>>
>> The pre-commit.ci is kind of an auto-pilot for our pre-commit
>> configuration.
>>
>> We already do post-commit checks via the pre-commit framework and I think
>> that some of the core developers have pre-commit enabled as a git hook.
>>
>> The convenience if pre-commit.ci is that if you don't have the git-hook
>> enable and you commit dirty code, pre-commit.ci will fix it for you.
>>
>> pre-commit.ci will also automatically create PR to update the pre-commit
>> dependencies.
>>
>> This all comes at the cost of allowing the external pre-commit.ci server
>> to write to twisted/twisted repository.
>>
>> pre-commit.ci was already enabled for twisted/ldaptor
>>
>> pre-commit.ci is currently enabled for twisted/twisted for testing while
>> a final decision is made.
>>
>> I am +0 on this change due to security reasons...but I do think that it
>> will reduce a bit of the frustration for first time contributors.
>>

> Can you elaborate on this a little bit?  First time contributors won't be
> able to push a branch to twisted/twisted.  Does giving pre-commit.ci
> write access to twisted/twisted also give it write access to forks of
> twisted/twisted?  Or maybe only to branches in forks with PRs targeting
> twisted/twisted?

External contributors can't push directly to twisted/twisted.
Their code will reach twisted/twisted vi PR... just like before

I expect that first time contributors will have their fork automatically
updated by pre-commit.ci to make the code more likely to be accepted.

For example, pre-commit will automatically run black.

I don't have any experience with pre-commit.ci  ... but this is my
expectation,

>> If there are no strong comments against enabling pre-commit.ci, in a
>> week, I plan to approve the PR and have the pre-commit.ci enabled for
>> the long term.
>>

> Thanks for raising this question with the mailing list and for supplying
> details about the motivation.  Given that there is no justification for the
> change written on the ticket or in the PR itself, this is really helpful.

Based on the current feedback, I will approve the PR.

--
Adi Roiban