[Twisted-web] Re: Actual Useful Post

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Jan 24 02:32:14 MST 2006

Christopher Armstrong <radeex at gmail.com> writes:

> On 1/23/06, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
>> Well, I've had a quick pop at the interesting bit of this task while
>> travelling over the weekend: using the compiler module I can extract
>> the docstrings and class hierachy of all the stuff in the Twisted
>> source.  It's a touch fragile, but seems to work for all the
>> constructions used by Twisted.
>>
>> One issue is classes that are defined in one file but generally used
>> from another, for example twisted.spread.jelly.Serializable is often
>> (always?) imported as twisted.spread.pb.Serializable.  Where should it
>> be documented it?
>>
>> The boring bit of the task (for me, at least) is HTML generation.  I'd
>> love some help with this :) I guess I should get on IRC and talk about
>> what people actually want/need from these tools, but I'm at a PyPy
>> sprint this week so I'm *slightly* busy...
>
> Funny, I wrote a doc extractor over the weekend too ;-) It's currently
> at 104 lines and sitting in sandbox/radix/extractdocs.py. Where's
> yours?

Mine's a bit more over-engineered, a bit longer, makes an effort to
work out class's bases and only on my hard drive... or rather, it's here:

http://codespeak.net/svn/user/mwh/docextractor/

> As for HTML output, I'm thinking outputting to Effbot's new Pyref
> format[1] would be really cool (and really easy), if he releases the
> tools soon.
>
> 1: http://effbot.org//zone/pythondoc-lib.htm

I haven't looked at this yet...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  When physicists speak of a TOE, they don't really mean a theory
  of *everything*.  Taken literally, "Everything" covers a lot of