[Twisted-web] Good ROM tool ?

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at cpushare.com
Tue Jan 17 07:01:28 MST 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 06:03:49AM -0500, Paul G wrote:
> from the perspective of a person who is in the process of evaluating how to
> do databases in a forthcoming twisted-based app, this is highly unlikely. i
> think elaborating on the technical issues would be flamebait-y, so i won't.
> however, from a business risk perspective, what happens if divmod goes
> away? python is unlikely to go away; mysql, say, isn't either. MySQLdb is
> popular enough and small enough for maintenance to be taken over by somone
> and taken over successfully; twisted has a sizable group of non-divmod
> users and maintainers. i wish the divmod folks the best of luck with their
> business, as anyone who is gratefully using their code does, but this is
> not a managable risk for me. i expect a bunch of folks are in the same boat.

Seconded.

I'm using psycopg2 and works pretty well, it convers all types
automatically. For really simple apps if something I could consider
simple interfaces that avoids to write the sql word.

Now I'm integrating twisted web2 with Cheetah (credit to Paul for
pointing me at Cheetah) so I'm removing the too fragile nevow dependency
(and Cheetah seems much faster too, or perhaps it's web2 dunno). It's a
bit tricky to rewrite the code (i've to use explicit deferreds instead
of the implcit ones in nevow) but it seems worth it and performance will
be better anyway.

(and if web2 API changes that's ok of course, it still has no chance to
obsolete all forms and the html rendering, Cheetah is solid and fast and
with huge userbase unlike nevow)