[Twisted-web] Re: [Divmod-dev] LiveEvil for Internet Explorer?

Justin Johnson justinjohnson at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 25 07:04:51 MDT 2004

This should probably move to the twisted-web list.

Donovan had a working version that required flash in woven (called
LivePage then).  Unfortunately the current version doesn't work with IE
because IE doesn't implement its XMLHTTPRequest object the way microsoft
documented it.  :-(

I did get a working version that uses the XMLHTTPRequest object to
perform refreshes in the background, looking for more JS to execute.
Last I checked it worked with the latest Nevow.  See
sandbox/justinj/liveevil.py in the Nevow repository.  Your code should be
the same as for normal liveevil, except you use refreshGlue instead of
glue, passing in a refresh rate, and you have to call activate and
deactivate to determine when you want to start and stop refreshing.  This
was necessary in order to just stop needless refreshing, but also to
guarantee you don't have left over JS from a previous page get sent to
the wrong page.  So once deactive is called, future sendScripts are just
ignored, until you call activate again.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.
-Justin