[Twisted-web] Re: Using Twisted.web - should I wait?

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Tue Apr 20 10:39:58 MDT 2004

I have just started development of two web sites using twisted.web, after
looking into all of the python-based alternatives. It's been very
disappointing to see all of this talk about a split, and even more
disappointing to see all of the goofiness about naming. I haven't
encountered any other projects where things were as obtuse and hard to
understand, and it's almost tempting to think that the twisted developers
get a kick out of creating some sort of a secret code that only they can
understand.

Please accept this as constructive criticism, which it is fully intended to
be. Perhaps the viewpoint of a twisted newbie/outsider who is in a
profession where words are important might be valuable. I don't find the
seemingly random naming conventions "cute" or amusing at all. They are
confusing and convey no intrinsic information whatsoever. I don't want to
have to study source code to find out what the heck a "banana encoded jelly
stream" is supposed to do. (That is contrary to the XP principle of
descriptive naming, by the way.) And I certainly don't want to have to
review each one of a list of packages to find out what they really do,
information that some goofy name like "lowdown" or "charlotte" simply does
not convey.

Best regards, Ed

--
Ed Suominen