[Twisted-Python] Enable pre-commit.ci for twisted/twisted

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jul 15 08:35:02 MDT 2021

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Adi Roiban <adiroiban at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As part of this PR https://github.com/twisted/twisted/pull/1619 Thomas
> has requested to enable the https://pre-commit.ci  service for
> twisted/twisted repository
>
> The pre-commit.ci is kind of an auto-pilot for our pre-commit
> configuration.
>
> We already do post-commit checks via the pre-commit framework and I think
> that some of the core developers have pre-commit enabled as a git hook.
>
> The convenience if pre-commit.ci is that if you don't have the git-hook
> enable and you commit dirty code, pre-commit.ci will fix it for you.
>
> pre-commit.ci will also automatically create PR to update the pre-commit
> dependencies.
>
> This all comes at the cost of allowing the external pre-commit.ci server
> to write to twisted/twisted repository.
>
> pre-commit.ci was already enabled for twisted/ldaptor
>
> pre-commit.ci is currently enabled for twisted/twisted for testing while
> a final decision is made.
>
> I am +0 on this change due to security reasons...but I do think that it
> will reduce a bit of the frustration for first time contributors.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit?  First time contributors won't be
able to push a branch to twisted/twisted.  Does giving pre-commit.ci write
access to twisted/twisted also give it write access to forks of
twisted/twisted?  Or maybe only to branches in forks with PRs targeting
twisted/twisted?

> If there are no strong comments against enabling pre-commit.ci, in a
> week, I plan to approve the PR and have the pre-commit.ci enabled for the
> long term.

Thanks for raising this question with the mailing list and for supplying
details about the motivation.  Given that there is no justification for the
change written on the ticket or in the PR itself, this is really helpful.

Thanks,
Jean-Paul

> We can always rewoke to pre-commit.ci write access if needed.

Cheers