[Twisted-Python] Fwd: Enable auto-merge for twisted/twisted

Adi Roiban adiroiban at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 06:33:48 MDT 2021

Hi,

Do you see any issues if we enable the auto-merge feature for
twisted/twisted?

The feature is documented here

https://docs.github.com/en/github/collaborating-with-issues-and-pull-requests/automatically-merging-a-pull-request

With this, in theory you don't have to wait for all the CI to be green
before a merge.
You got your reviews, you fix some typos that don't require a re-review and
then set the merge message and your are done.
Or there was a flaky test failure and just re-run the job and the merge
will be done once all the jobs are green again.

-------------

This can be abused if someone will enable auto-merge before the PR is
approved by a reviewer.
As most of the time the reviewer will accept the PR but will request or
suggest minor changes.
If the auto-merge is enabled, the PR is mergesd as soon as it is reviewed.

-------------

The config looks like this:

You can allow setting pull requests to merge automatically once all
required reviews and status checks have passed.

   - Allow auto-merge

   Waits for merge requirements to be met and then merges automatically.

There is also the option to block a merge only after all the conversations
are marked as resolved.
I am using this for my project and it works ok... a bit annoying but can
help if you accedentally forgot to address a comment.

Cheers

--
Adi Roiban