[Twisted-Python] Twisted Release Planning

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jul 5 18:48:26 MDT 2021

On July 5, 2021 at 3:55:38 PM, Adi Roiban (adi at roiban.ro(mailto:adi at roiban.ro)) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't have much time or much "need" but if needed I can help with a new Twisted release.

Hooray! I’m hype for 21.7!

> I am still working on py3 migration as an urgent task so I am stuck with 20.3.0.
>
> There was a lot of confusion / miscommunication / non-cooperation lately with the Twisted release process.
>
> For example, I don't know when a new release is required / appropriate.
>
> Maybe we can look at doing 2 releases per year around December and June, or sync with Ubuntu releases?
> What do you think?.

My own preference is to just do them as often as we have capacity for. More releases means peoples’ work gets into the world faster, there’s more motivation to work on Twisted, more features means more users and more users means more potential contributors and it’s a virtuous cycle.

However since I personally have the bandwidth to do zero (0) releases per year myself, this does mean that others get to dictate the schedule ;-). If you’d like to do these two, other volunteers can do more (and more than one planned release manager at a time would be great). If at all possible, I think one per quarter, so four per year, would be a good lower bound to aim for. (Among other things, a quarterly cycle makes it easier to align with a popular style of resource planning in many companies.)

> My plan is to have the release process documented and automated so that anyone can take the role of the release manager for a certain release.

So say we all! Thanks for all your work towards making this happen so far.

> The current documentation for the release is here
> https://docs.twistedmatrix.com/en/twisted-21.2.0/core/development/policy/release-process.html
>
> Happy to recessive feedback and PRs for the current documentation.
>
> --------
>
> I don't see any tickets flagged as regressions in Trac (https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/26) so I guess that we can cut a release right away.

> I am thinking of a scenario in which person X sends a PR that is merged and that person X needs a new release so the same person X can act as release manager for that release.
> I don't know if that will work :)

Looking forward to crossing that bridge when we come to it.