[Twisted-Python] Twisted Release Planning

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Jul 5 16:55:38 MDT 2021

Hi,

I don't have much time or much "need" but if needed I can help with a new
Twisted release.

I am still working on py3 migration as an urgent task so I am stuck with
20.3.0.

There was a lot of confusion / miscommunication / non-cooperation lately
with the Twisted release process.

For example, I don't know when a new release is required / appropriate.

Maybe we can look at doing 2 releases per year around December and June, or
sync with Ubuntu releases?
What do you think?.

My plan is to have the release process documented and automated so that
anyone can take the role of the release manager for a certain release.

The current documentation for the release is here
https://docs.twistedmatrix.com/en/twisted-21.2.0/core/development/policy/release-process.html

Happy to recessive feedback and PRs for the current documentation.

--------

I don't see any tickets flagged as regressions in Trac (
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/26) so I guess that we can cut a
release right away.

I am thinking of a scenario in which person X sends a PR that is merged and
that person X needs a new release so the same person X can act as release
manager for that release.
I don't know if that will work :)

Cheers
--