[Twisted-Python] Only run Azure, Travis, or CircleCI if GitHub actions pass

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at crodrigues.org
Mon Sep 21 18:59:25 MDT 2020

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 9:22 PM Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2020, at 5:27 PM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 at 21:30, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Adi,
>>
>> Is it possible to configure the CI so that
>> Azure, Travis and CircleCI only runs if GitHub actions pass?
>>
>> For example here:
>>
>> https://github.com/twisted/twisted/runs/1137175269
>>
>> *Azure Pipelines* and *Travis* should only run if the GitHub actions
>> pass.
>>

> My question is: why would we want to do this?  It seems like it would just
> make it slower to get feedback for contributors.

If some jobs such as lint or mypy fail first quickly, then there is no
point in running the full
test suite.  That would give feedback faster to contributors that they need
to do some minor
fixes, before wasting cycles running the full test suite.

When CI using Azure Pipelines was implemented for Twisted,  Azure Pipelines
offered runners that ran on Windows which seemed to be more reliable than
Appveyor (which was what was used at the time).  Azure Pipelines also
offers runners that run on MacOS X.
If GitHub Actions offers runners for Windows and MacOS X which are reliable
enough,
the existing CI for Azure Pipelines could be moved to GitHub Actions quite
easily.

For CircleCI and Travis, probably those CI's could be moved to GitHub
Actions if we wanted, since those are running on Linux,
and aren't doing anything too sophisticated.

For the free version of GitHub Actions, the limits are 20 concurrent jobs
(I guess on Linux), and 5 concurrent jobs on  MacOS:

https://docs.github.com/en/actions/reference/usage-limits-billing-and-administration#usage-limits

I think that is more than enough for Twisted's CI needs.

There is no rush to move everything to GitHub Actions, but that is
something we can consider over time.
--
Craig