[Twisted-Python] Only run Azure, Travis, or CircleCI if GitHub actions pass

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Sep 20 22:21:51 MDT 2020

> On Sep 19, 2020, at 5:27 PM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>

> On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 at 21:30, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org <mailto:rodrigc at crodrigues.org>> wrote:
> Adi,
>
> Is it possible to configure the CI so that
> Azure, Travis and CircleCI only runs if GitHub actions pass?
>
> For example here:
>
> https://github.com/twisted/twisted/runs/1137175269 <https://github.com/twisted/twisted/runs/1137175269>
>
> Azure Pipelines and Travis should only run if the GitHub actions pass.

My question is: why would we want to do this?  It seems like it would just make it slower to get feedback for contributors.

> I think that is partially possible...but complicated.
>
> My question: Why does Twisted need Azure Pipelines (sharing infastructure with GihutActions), Travis-CI and Circle-Ci.
>
> Why can't Twisted just use GitHub actions?

In a word: capacity. We have a large test matrix and more services = more parallel builds.

The calculus on this is changing all the time; the amount of free stuff that Github Actions gives us has substantially increased, other services have stood still, things that used to be special dispensations for extra parallel builds are now just the default, we test on fewer kernels than we used to (no FreeBSD, for example).

If we no longer get a substantial capacity benefit from using multiple services, we should definitely simplify and unify on one service.