[Twisted-Python] mypy integrated with CI for twisted

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jun 24 13:34:02 MDT 2020

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 5:48 AM, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 12:44 AM Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:glyph at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2020, at 5:34 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro <mailto:adi at roiban.ro>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Craig,
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 00:36, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org <mailto:rodrigc at crodrigues.org>> wrote:
>> I have merged some more fixes for mypy to Twisted trunk branch.
>>
>> In trunk, you can run mypy with:
>>
>> tox -e mypy
>>
>> Currently this results in 171 errors, which is way down from >1000 errors
>> a month ago.
>>
>> In addition, if you look at any new PR's there is a Mypy Ubuntu job
>> running on Azure pipeline, which runs mypy.  Right now errors from this job
>> are ignored and does not block the PR.  However, if we can get the mypy
>> errors down to zero, we can make mypy status a blocker for the PR.
>>

>> Thanks for working on this.
>>
>> Looking forward to have a real green mypy build.
>>
>> A general question: Why Twisted used Azure Devops and not GitHub actions?
>
> Azure Pipelines gave us substantially more parallel capacity than is available via Github Actions, which means we can make build statuses appear much sooner.  Plus they support more platforms.
>
> Does Twisted have a special deal with Azure Pipelines?

Yes.  They set it up for us and boosted our capacity at PyCon 2019.

> Or is the use of past-tense in this sentence intentional? :)

Also yes :).  I am not aware of any changes to the default capacity of either offering since then and now, so I wanted to be clear that this was a decision that happened in the past.

> Or are the docs for the respective platforms wrong/misleading?

I'm not sure what our total capacity is, I think it's 30, but I don't know how to check.  I'm sure these are right though.