[Twisted-Python] mypy integrated with CI for twisted

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Thu Jun 25 06:18:04 MDT 2020

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 at 13:48, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 12:44 AM Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 23, 2020, at 5:34 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Craig,
>>
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 00:36, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have merged some more fixes for mypy to Twisted trunk branch.
>>>
>>> In trunk, you can run mypy with:
>>>
>>> *tox -e mypy*
>>>
>>> Currently this results in *171* errors, which is way down from >1000
>>> errors
>>> a month ago.
>>>
>>> In addition, if you look at any new PR's there is a *Mypy Ubuntu* job
>>> running on Azure pipeline, which runs mypy.  Right now errors from this
>>> job
>>> are ignored and does not block the PR.  However, if we can get the mypy
>>> errors down to zero, we can make mypy status a blocker for the PR.
>>>

>> Thanks for working on this.
>>
>> Looking forward to have a real green mypy build.
>>
>> A general question: Why Twisted used Azure Devops and not GitHub actions?
>>

>> Azure Pipelines gave us substantially more parallel capacity than is
>> available via Github Actions, which means we can make build statuses appear
>> much sooner.  Plus they support more platforms.
>>

> Does Twisted have a special deal with Azure Pipelines?  Or is the use of
> past-tense in this sentence intentional? :)  Or are the docs for the
> respective platforms wrong/misleading?
>

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/licensing/concurrent-jobs?view=azure-devops says
> free-tier public projects get 10 parallel jobs.
>

> https://help.github.com/en/actions/getting-started-with-github-actions/about-github-actions#usage-limits says
> free tier projects get 20 parallel jobs.
>
> (Of course this says nothing about the number of supported platforms.)

My understanding is that GitHub actions are free for public repositories.

My suggestion is to use Azure Pipelines and Travis for the main trial tests
and use Circle-CI or GitHub Actions for the other tests.
GitHub Actions has a nice integration with a GitHub PR and you can check
the results without having to navigate to a different page.
And with GitHub actions you can add any new workflow without extra
permission to  Azure Devop.

With GitHub actions for free and available on LInux/Windows/macOS , I am
not sure if keeping Circle-Ci makes sense.

--
Adi Roiban