[Twisted-Python] Upcoming Twisted Release

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Dec 28 04:11:46 MST 2020

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 at 01:00, Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 6:59 PM Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hi Craig,
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 20:10, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I was previously working on releasing Twisted.  I was running into
>>> various roadblocks, but was moving forward,
>>> and got permission from Glyph to move forward with this.
>>> Has this changed?
>>>

>> If you want to do the release, I am more than happy to not have to do the
>> release myself :)
>>

>>> Unfortunately, Amber did not respond to any e-mails that I sent to her
>>> and Glyph, so I tried to move forward the
>>> best that I could.
>>>

>> Is there anything still blocking you ?
>> Can I help?

>>> I filed this:
>>> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10070
>>>
>>> which I found with Pierre Tardy's help by running buildbot's test suite
>>> against Twisted trunk.
>>> This looks like a problem on the Twisted side, and should be fixed
>>> before a Twisted release is pushed out.
>>>

>> OK. I closed https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10069 as I think it's
>> a duplicate.
>>
>> Do you or Pierre plan to fix that ticket?
>>
>> I think that you should block the release only if someone is committed to
>> fixing the release blocker.
>>
>> I plan to update the release documentation to make it clear that all
>> release blocker tichet
>> should have an owner and there are plans to fix the ticket in a maximum
>> of 2 weeks.
>>
>> Otherwise we risk to block the release forever... and if we delay forever
>> people will start using "trunk"
>> and if everybody is using trunk, what is the point of a release :) ?
>>

> Part of the point is that when someone runs `pip install ...` they get a
> *working* version of Twisted, to the best of the project's ability to
> provide one.
>
> Fortunately many regressions aren't that difficult to resolve.  At worst,
> find the merge that introduced them and revert it.  This works best when
> regressions are found in a timely manner, of course.  Of course it's also
> nice if the problem can be fixed without backing out whatever (presumably
> desirable) set of changes it came along with.
>
> Part of the release managers job is to motivate this kind of work to
> happen.  A standing policy to revert the cause of a regression can also
> serve as good motivation to get the other kind of fix in, too.
>
> It's better if these known regressions don't linger for months, though.
> It looks like the Buildbot PR had a failing CI run in October.  I'd suggest
> that not waiting until December is a good way to avoid having these kinds
> of situations turn into a larger problem.
>
> Jean-Paul

Thanks Kyle and Jean-Paul for your feedback.

With GitHub Actions is easy to have wheels and full docs published on PyPi
and Read The Docs.
We can do a release candidate and the release candidate might be a good way
to do one more release rehearsal before the final release :)

I was wrong to suggest installing based on trunk ... even when use pip to
install from git, it should have been installed based on the release branch
:)
But that issue is solved.

-----

I guess there are no comments against removing a ticket from the
release-blocking list if the ticket is not active for 1 or 2 weeks.

-----

Crag, if you have time, can you join the IRC channel ?

Cheers
--
Adi Roiban