[Twisted-Python] Upcoming Twisted Release

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sun Dec 27 17:50:30 MST 2020

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 6:59 PM Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 at 20:10, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 3:50 PM Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I plan to act as a release manager for the next release and follow the
>>> plan documented at
>>>

>>> https://docs.twistedmatrix.com/en/latest/core/development/policy/release-process.html
>>>

>> I was previously working on releasing Twisted.  I was running into
>> various roadblocks, but was moving forward,
>> and got permission from Glyph to move forward with this.
>> Has this changed?
>>

> If you want to do the release, I am more than happy to not have to do the
> release myself :)
>

>> Unfortunately, Amber did not respond to any e-mails that I sent to her
>> and Glyph, so I tried to move forward the
>> best that I could.
>>

> Is there anything still blocking you ?
> Can I help?
>

>>> So no other tickets are in the blocker queue:
>>> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/26
>>>
>>> ------
>>>
>>> Do you know any other release blocker issues?
>>>

>> I filed this:
>> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10070
>>
>> which I found with Pierre Tardy's help by running buildbot's test suite
>> against Twisted trunk.
>> This looks like a problem on the Twisted side, and should be fixed before
>> a Twisted release is pushed out.
>>

> OK. I closed https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/10069 as I think it's
> a duplicate.
>
> Do you or Pierre plan to fix that ticket?
>
> I think that you should block the release only if someone is committed to
> fixing the release blocker.
>
> I plan to update the release documentation to make it clear that all
> release blocker tichet
> should have an owner and there are plans to fix the ticket in a maximum of
> 2 weeks.
>
> Otherwise we risk to block the release forever... and if we delay forever
> people will start using "trunk"
> and if everybody is using trunk, what is the point of a release :) ?

Part of the point is that when someone runs `pip install ...` they get a
*working* version of Twisted, to the best of the project's ability to
provide one.

Fortunately many regressions aren't that difficult to resolve.  At worst,
find the merge that introduced them and revert it.  This works best when
regressions are found in a timely manner, of course.  Of course it's also
nice if the problem can be fixed without backing out whatever (presumably
desirable) set of changes it came along with.

Part of the release managers job is to motivate this kind of work to
happen.  A standing policy to revert the cause of a regression can also
serve as good motivation to get the other kind of fix in, too.

It's better if these known regressions don't linger for months, though.  It
looks like the Buildbot PR had a failing CI run in October.  I'd suggest
that not waiting until December is a good way to avoid having these kinds
of situations turn into a larger problem.

Jean-Paul