[Twisted-Python] Binary wheels for Twisted on Windows?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Fri May 31 22:54:16 MDT 2019

> On May 28, 2019, at 5:49 AM, Scott, Barry <barry.scott at forcepoint.com> wrote:
>
> What I do for my python projects on windows is turn them into a setup.exe that
> the user can run in the traditional way. There are many tools to help you do
> this. Then the user does not need to install anything except your setup.exe.

This works nicely for projects which are intended as applications, but for development dependencies it's a bit of a headache.  We used to do this with Twisted and stopped because it causes too many problems with people trying to follow best practices (setting up virtualenvs, for example).

We can fix this problem with binary wheels, and we should.  Releases to PyPI should be automatically made by CI, and then we don't have to bother anyone to actually keep a personal development environment around at release time.

-g