[Twisted-Python] Etiquette of tagging people for reviews?

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Oct 24 00:36:20 MDT 2018

> On Oct 23, 2018, at 10:21 PM, Wim Lewis <wiml at hhhh.org> wrote:
>
> Every project seems to have its own norms around this. When I have some code in a
> reviewable state, I will sometimes look for someone who has recently worked on
> that piece of code or similar features and request a review from them, just to get
> the ball rolling. Is this a reasonable thing to do with Twisted? Or should I just
> let people check the review queue when they have time for reviewing?

Thanks for asking :-).

My feeling on this is that the official mechanism here is the review queue, i.e. https://twisted.reviews/ <https://twisted.reviews/>.  Regular contributors to the project should scan this periodically and try to do whatever reviews they can.

However, everybody requires some prompting sometimes, and it can often motivate some progress on an issue.  As long as you're not aggressively spamming anyone, I'm always a fan of reaching out via IRC, this mailing list, a mention on a PR, or whatever channel is appropriate to ping a potential reviewer.  A tried and true strategy is trading reviews - offering to review one of the reviewer's choice in exchange :).

Personally my github notifications are a smoking crater and I will pretty much never notice a "requested review" via that interface right now; however, I do hope that we can eventually make twisted.reviews actually point at the queue of "review requested" tickets on the Twisted project on github rather than being a trac report.  (One part of that workflow would be making @twisted/twisted-contributors automatically have a review requested for every open PR...)

-glyph