[Twisted-Python] Problem with osx10.10-py2.7 builder

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Mar 26 00:58:54 MDT 2018

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 5:01 AM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> On 25 March 2018 at 05:14, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at crodrigues.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone check this builder:
>>
>> https://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/builders/osx10.10-py2.7
>>
>> It is failing randomly in weird ways during builds.  For example,
>> in some cases it fails to install tox.  In other cases, the tests terminate
>> in
>> some random spot.
>
> I will try and take a look at it.

Adi, myself, and Mark looked at it by turns and eventually I think we got it into a mostly working state.

Builds are now passing.  However, if you attempt to view the logs of a build in progress, it appears to fail with a purple exception.  This actually looks like it's a bug in the build master which I'm a little confused about why it isn't affecting other builders.

> If someone knows more about the slave running this build, please add
> the info on wiki at:
>
> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ContinuousIntegration/Buildslaves <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ContinuousIntegration/Buildslaves>

Looks like you beat me to the punch: https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ContinuousIntegration/Buildslaves/d3 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ContinuousIntegration/Buildslaves/d3>

Is there other information you need?

>> This builder is marked as "Required", so it is a bit annoying.
>
> My understanding from the previous discussion about the supported
> platforms is that any build is required.
> The osx is there as I reminder to run the buildbot tests and not to
> merge a PR with only Travis and Appveyor.
>
> I have reconfigured GitHub to require  ubuntu16.04-py2.7-coverage as
> this is backed by 3 slaves.

Primarily it's required because it's the only reasonable way we have to verify that things work on macOS, which is by far our most popular developer operating system.  I've reverted this configuration change, since it's more reasonable to give the reviewers some discretion about the fact that Travis is representative of Linux than that a random assortment of non-macOS buildbots are representative of macOS.

> We have the circle-ci macOS and for the next  2 days, we can use that :)
> We are already used 55% of the macOS time and Circle-CI was enalbled
> in trunk in the last 2 days...so I don't think that we can use
> Circle-CI for macOS for the long term.
> I will write them to see if we can get an exception or a discount.

I would definitely like it if we could move to something hosted :).

> Otherwise, I plan to rent a macOS  so that it can act as a second
> slave for osx10.10-py2.7
> So far, the support from macincloud was not helpful or friendly, but I
> guess that we can just try their service for 1 month and see how it
> goes.

Bummer.  This seems like the sort of thing that we should have the Conservancy pay for, rather than you personally.  Better yet, of course, to get a commercially interested macOS user to supply some hardware or mac cloud boxes or something.

Alternately...

The reason we're doing this at all is that Travis's macOS situation was pretty dismal when we last tried it.  But then, the graphs on https://www.traviscistatus.com <https://www.traviscistatus.com/> at the time matched that experience: routinely there were build queues in the hundreds.  Right now the "Backlog macOS Builds for Open Source Projects" shows a completely flat line, zero for the last 24 hours.

It might be worth trying out Travis again.

-glyph