[Twisted-Python] Twisted 17.1 Release Announcement

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Feb 15 22:47:17 MST 2017

> On Feb 15, 2017, at 6:11 AM, Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi at mithrandi.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 at 15:23 Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com <mailto:exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>> wrote:
>
> I wonder about the details of how treq's failures went unnoticed.  Is development sufficiently inactive that no one looked at CI between the breakage and the release?  Wasn't that a period of several months?  Or does it have a Twisted trunk at HEAD build that none of the contributors really pay attention to?
>
> The latter is the case; there are Twisted trunk builds, but they're flagged as "failures allowed" to avoid disrupting development with transient breakage. Unfortunately this means that basically nobody ever notices when they fail. For example, here's a failing build:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/twisted/treq/builds/194691849 <https://travis-ci.org/twisted/treq/builds/194691849>
>
> I haven't found a good solution to this problem yet in my own projects; I'm hoping someone else has some ideas?

Indeed, I probably saw these failures myself; the issue is that there's no point in the process where someone has to care.  When you're trying to merge a PR, you care that the tests are failing for that PR, because making them pass is a part of the process.  But, other stuff that's changed upstream is ancillary, even if you sort of abstractly know it's a problem.  I suspect even our release manager, who also maintains treq on occasion, might have seen the failures at some point, but not managed to connect them.

If we could get requires.io <http://requires.io/> to send "--pre" requirements PRs, that might be enough; I notice immediately when dependencies actually break on production PyPI for Mimic, but there's no PR for prerelease dependency versions.

-glyph