[Twisted-Python] Twisted and Flask or Django

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Mon Apr 17 00:10:36 MDT 2017

> For the most part, general WSGI documentation should get you most of the way there with specific frameworks though.  This used to be a lot worse but in recent years there's been a lot of convergence.

I have to disagree here BTW.  When I started using Twisted as a WSGI container, I was vexed by its lack of docs (and I’m still confused about many details).  There’s a few blog posts around but none of them reach the straight-forwardibility of e.g. gunicorn’s docs.  I’ve ended up asking around on IRC, stealing from Donald/PyPI, and reading source code.

I honestly believe, we’re leaving money on the table here.  Using Twisted as a WSGI container should be first class use case on the web page since it presents a nice entry drug into the ecosystem.

There’s also barely any information on *why* one would want to use Twisted as a WSGI container.  And please keep in mind that to many, many (most likely: the majority) of Python users “pure Python” doesn’t mean “safe” but “slow.” C.f. all those “lightning fast pure C” frameworks popping up left and right, upvoted to nirvana on reddit and its likes.   If we want to do marketing, we have to be a tad more user-focused. :)

***

What I’m saying is that this topic shouldn’t be relegated into some wiki (where information famously is going to die) but should be a prominent tab on the landing page (maybe with additional information for specific frameworks in the wiki).

Cheers,
—hs