[Twisted-Python] overview: new review queue venue

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun May 22 00:45:10 MDT 2016

> On May 21, 2016, at 11:24 PM, Daniel Sank <sank.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That does leave the question of whether you want people to use merge commits or to rebase their branch on the latest master before merging so that you always get a fast-forward.

Github will never fast-forward, and I never want to see anyone using a client manually push a fast-forward to master,  either.  Every left-parent commit should be something that was code reviewed.

If the changes on master are small, it's fine to just merge master into the branch.  But, in the case of larger changes and resurrecting stale, old PRs, rather than merge 1000s of commits off of master, I actually prefer creating a new branch from current master and merging the old branch into it.

Rebasing an entire branch on master creates new commits that were never tested by CI, and never present in anyone's working copy.  I strongly prefer to avoid this.  Rebase is great functionality, but IMHO there is only one correct way to use it: rebase --interactive, carefully vetting each commit to ensure it still says what you want it to.

-glyph