[Twisted-Python] overview: new review queue venue

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun May 22 00:41:54 MDT 2016

> On May 21, 2016, at 11:24 PM, Daniel Sank <sank.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Squashing commits is essential to making useful commit histories.

Nope.  It's just a handy hack to work around the commonly-used, broken history viewers (like Github's own) that can't correctly present multi-parent commits.  If you use SourceTree or bzr qlog or anything that correctly collapses merges, you don't need squashes.

Furthermore, if you use squashes, you work around a temporary problem (crummy history viewers - which will probably eventually be fixed) by permanently destroying useful information (the sequence of changes which lead to a larger change).  Of course, I can't stop you from doing this in any meaningful sense, you can always delete commits and just create bigger diffs and I won't be able to tell, but I would prefer it if you don't use squash commits or any other kind of history rewriting on Twisted.

-glyph