[Twisted-Python] Twisted 16.3.0 Prerelease 2 Announcement

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 02:52:49 MDT 2016

> On 12 Jul 2016, at 22:04, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>
> 2 years ago, to be precise:
>
> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/6923 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/6923>
>
> Someone fixing this would be tremendously useful.
>
> -glyph

I tried to get started on this yesterday. Unfortunately, the stack of work that requires this means I’ll be chasing after this for a while. Specifically:

- To deprecate ContextManager, we need to remove all instances of it from the code and documentation.
- That’s fine, except that code/docs that used ContextManager used {connect,listen}SSL and friends (because those were the appropriate APIs)
- Which means that we actually need to adjust a huge swathe of docs to use endpoints in order to remove the use of ContextManager.

I’ve gotten started on this, but sadly the {connect,listen} paradigm for SSL is extremely widespread in the Twisted documentation. This means I’m going to generate *several* sizeable tickets that require review just to get to a place where we can actually put the darn deprecation marker on those classes.

I’ve begun by tackling the tutorial in #8588 (https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8588 <https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/8588>). There are further questions about the pedagogical value of this as “The Twisted Tutorial”, but for now I just want to bring it into 2014.

Anyway, I’ll be spending my Twisted time on this for a while I suspect. This will delay HTTP/2 client support, unfortunately. =(

Cory