[Twisted-Python] twistechecker and twisted-dev-tools as part of twisted main repo

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Thu Mar 19 03:45:13 MDT 2015

> OK, cool.  I didn't realize that was ready for review.  I am liking the
> process we have for Mimic for flagging PRs with keywords -
> https://github.com/rackerlabs/mimic/pulls - but this needs automation so as
> not to be unfriendly to non-committer contributors.
>
> I'll try to get to it by the end of the week.

For twistedchecker I start using tags ... but I don't have permissions
for twisted-infra repos.

Yes. GitHub PR are nice but horrible for implementing anything formal
on top of it.

I was preparing to suggest someting similar also for Trac as sometimes
I am not sure if a comment is 'do minor changes and merge' or 'do
minor change and send them for review'

My suggestion is this:

when a PR is ready for review the author should leave a comment
containing the `needs-review` marker. This will send a hook and a
custom hook server will update the tags of the ticket.

When someone has reviewed the changes and don't like them he/she can
add a comment with 'needs-changes' marker. Again the hook server will
kick in and update the tags.

When someone has approved the changes he/she leave a comment with
`changes-approved` marker and the hook server will update the tags.

The hook server will have permission to  set tag so this will work
even for non commiters.

I already use something like this for my project based on a custom GH
hook server which is just a simple web server which parse the hook and
dispatch them as a nice JSON
https://github.com/chevah/txghserf/blob/master/txghserf/server.py

I find it easy to type needs-review / needs-chagnes ... etc than using
the mouse to set a tag or change the owner of a ticket.

What do you say?
--
Adi Roiban