[Twisted-Python] a brief note about buildbots

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Sep 10 01:24:54 MDT 2014

On Sep 9, 2014, at 3:56 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz
> <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> Hi Twistosophists,
>>
>> Some of you doing reviews (you ARE all doing code reviews, right!?!?) might
>> have noticed that some of the boxes on the left side of of the supported
>> builds page were dark grey, meaning that they were offline.
>>
>> I spent some time over the last couple of days doing some administrative
>> housekeeping and rebooting computers, and all of our supported builders are
>> now back online!  This makes me feel much better about the possibility of
>> doing a release again someday :-).
>>
>> Speaking of colors of boxes on that page, though, we should probably try to
>> turn some of them from red to green...
>>
>> -glyph
>>
>> P.S.: Thanks to Rackspace for providing both (A) the cloud resources we're
>> running many these tests on, and (B) my time to do this sort of maintenance.
>
> Long Live Glyph!
> (Rackspace probably receives their credits in the market share)

Thanks for saying so :-).

> I presume you're using Firefox for all browsing needs. Am I right? =) In Chrome
> I've noticed an empty box with missing image at the highscore page leading to
> https://sm7.sitemeter.com/meter.asp?site=sm7twistedmatrix

Nope, I have just grown blind to that box.  We should really just give up on sitemeter and delete it everywhere.  They were injecting some nasty stuff into our pages on some other areas of the site and it has been removed.

> And when I open linked buildbot page at:
> https://buildbot.twistedmatrix.com/boxes-supported?branch=trunk&num_builds=4
> Chrome says that "Attackers might be trying to steal your information from
> buildbot.twistedmatrix.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards)."
> Not your, of course, but mine, so I am double worried about that
> invalid security
> certificate issued to www.twistedmatrix.com and deployed on buildbot.t.c

buildbot.t.c and www.t.c are the same host and, upon closer inspection, you will see they're using the same certificate.  The problem is that it's not valid for buildbot.t.c because of dumb rules.

I rolled a cert for buildbot some time ago, but it was never installed.

In the meanwhile I have written <https://github.com/glyph/TxSNI> (also thanks to Rackspace!), which makes setting up SNI sites _much_ easier.  If someone wanted to submit a pull request to <https://github.com/twisted-infra/t-web/blob/462262bddcd996bf99c181c4baf7ac55efbb4c53/fabfile.py#L53-L70> and <https://github.com/twisted-infra/t-web/blob/462262bddcd996bf99c181c4baf7ac55efbb4c53/twisted-web/ports> and the other attendant files in t-web, I'm sure I could deploy it.  Or I will (eventually) get around to it.

> BTW, how do you count tests? Is this config available somewhere?

Not sure.  Hopefully someone more familiar with the buildbot configuration will opine :-).

-glyph