[Twisted-Python] Trac downtime

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Jun 19 20:02:41 MDT 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 4:31 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> On 05:38 pm, glyph at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>> Hello Twisted users,
>>
>> David Reid and I are attempting to upgrade our production Trac instance to version 1.0.1 today, in order to address the spam and many other issues.
>>
>> While we will attempt to minimize the downtime, knowing Trac, you should expect at least 6 hours of downtime beginning as soon as 20 minutes (18:00 UTC).
>
> Looks like some cool stuff happened.  Thanks!

You're welcome.  This was really like 99% David, I just helped push things towards a conclusion ;).

> I'm not sure if you're done or not.  In case not, here are some things I noticed:

Sorry I didn't send out an announcement when we were finished.  It was all pretty exhausting :-).

> The front page says "wiki:WikiStart" at the top of the wiki content.
> Other pages similarly have their own name at the top as well.

This is a new feature of Trac 1.0, a breadcrumbs bar, which we don't have nice styling for yet.  We should probably add some CSS for it.  (Notice "wiki" is a link to WikiStart from all pages.)

> The tabs on "Code Examples" on the front page don't work (clicking them doesn't switch to a different example)

I imagine you have an adblocker or a tracking-blocker or something like that.  The tabs actually work fine, unless you block google analytics, which causes a JavaScript which I believe halts further script execution on the page.  We should add a try/catch around the thing that loads the analytics thing so it doesn't disrupt further script execution.

> The "Owner" dropdown list on the ticket page is quite short.  This is rather nice, but it is maybe slightly too short. :)

Augh.  That definitely looks too short.  I have no idea why it looks that way.  I don't think it looked that way when I examined dreid's test instance.  Any ideas?

> The IDs for entries in the various RSS feeds have changed (so the last N entries appear as duplicates).

I don't think there's anything we can do about that.

> Again, thanks!

Thanks for looking into it.  Now that we're over this huge hurdle, hopefully we can address issues like these more quickly now.

One thing you didn't notice is the weird description on the styling in the "Description" box in the ticket-edit area, we should fix that as well.

-glyph