[Twisted-Python] [RFC] Introducing six as a dependency

Vladimir Perić vlada.peric at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:13:03 EDT 2012

On 7/26/12, Gavin Panella <gavin at gromper.net> wrote:
> On 26 July 2012 16:55, Vladimir Perić <vlada.peric at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a note, currently, I would need at least the reraise and exec_
>> functions from six;
>
> Fwiw, reraise is fairly trivial and wouldn't be a big thing to carry
> in Twisted.
>
> exec(code, [globals, [locals]]) works on both Python 2 and Python 3,
> and seem to have similar behaviour, so I'm not sure why exec_ is
> needed. Indeed, test_exec_() from the six source passes using the
> builtin exec in place of six.exec_. Ah, I've tried only with Python
> 2.6 and 2.7; perhaps there are differences on earlier 2.x versions?

Actually, Twisted now only supports 2.6 and 2.7 anyway, the issue is
that the old syntax "exec code in globs, locs" is a SyntaxError in
Python 3.

In any case, in light of the discussions (and especially Jonathan's
repost of Glyph's opinion), I'll opt for copying the required code to
our twisted.python.compat module (copying the whole of six is not
really practical, particularly because we'd still need additional
compatibility modules).

Thanks all for giving your input.

Vladimir Perić