[Twisted-Python] [Q] multi-process chat client and poller

Valentino Volonghi dialtone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 01:56:48 EST 2009

On Jan 3, 2009, at 2:32 PM, V S P wrote:

> Thank you so much
> Yes, this plugin is what I am looking for process pool
> "
>    """
>    This plugin provides ways to create a process pool service in your
>    system listening on a given port and interface and answering to a
>    given set of commands.
>    """
> "
>
> So I just need to inherit from
> AMPConnector and have a trully scalable server!

No. Wait there... AMPConnector is only a frontend and it's not
made to be inherited. You might want to inherit it only to add some
weird functionality to it. Another option is to not use it but create
a new one to avoid using AMP as a child-parent protocol.

You really want to subclass AMPChild and create a good AMPParent
by subclassing amp.AMP.

There are some examples in the code and to expose a process pool
on the net you shouldn't do anything more than adding the right argument
to the command line twistd plugin.

> Two more questions:
>
> What's the mechanism of 'registring' multiple twisted servers
> (something similar to a Name server in Corba) -- so an event
> dispatching client can 'discover' the servers running on
> multiple machines

I haven't written such a mechanism yet. It shouldn't be too hard to have
a simple version but having everything go through the same master node
is kind of problematic from a scalability point of view. It would be
better to
have a routing system where each system knows each other but probably
this has a lot of memory overhead to keep in memory the list of nearby
servers... If anyone is willing to spend some time to design some kind
of
solution for this I'd be happy to implement it in ampoule. I'm pretty
sure that
this was done in other projects already.

> And how does one run multiple XAMPP servers in twisted -- such
> that work to each server is distributed either by a hash on a user
> name or some other way (or does such mechanism exist).

It's just AMP, XMPP is another protocol.

--
Valentino Volonghi aka Dialtone
Now running MacOS X 10.5