[Twisted-Python] [Q] multi-process chat client and poller

V S P toreason at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 13 16:11:09 EST 2009

Hi, thank you for the correction on how to use Ampula.

Naming service serves
really as a 'discovery' tool -- and then the participating
components talk to each other.  When new component comes
on online, it registers, and the Naming Service broadcasts
the new updates to all the subscribed components.  It also
can 'ping' the components to see if they are alive and if not
it deletes an entry and broadcasts the updates to the remaning
components.

This way the message dispatchers (or components themselves) have
almost up-to-date information about their peers on the network (the  is
a delay controlled by ping interval).

The naming service data is sometimes stored on a file system
(in case it crashes and needs to restart -- sort of like a
'session') with Python's serialization it has to be easy to do.

But yes, a naming service while not a bottleneck --  can be
a single point of failure in a distributed env, and that's why
for 'fault safety' it is typically ran on fail-over hardware
(although since it is not doing much, it rarely crashes :-))

I certainly agree that using a naming service as a mechanism
to get a 'context' of a remote process to invoke its methods
(sort of get a Prospective Broker object from a naming service)
every time a call is made -- would be inefficient and not correct.

But if each component has the table of the registered components,
then simply using that table to insanciate a Prospective Broker's
RemoteReference for the needed remote component -- would be nice.

Few people pointed out that a more generic service discovery
systems exist and they use Dbus protocol (they are used to discover
printers on the network, fileshares, etc) -- I have to study those.

As far as XAMPP, I meant to ask: in twisted, does it run distributed
on multiple machines (that is multiple xampp servers each on its own
machine) -- if yes -- I thought it would have to have some kind of a
naming service built in (I did not mean that XA (AMP) in the naming
suggested that it is derived from Ampula :-)).  But may be it is
single-machine/single-thread process only (I just did not know).

thanks,
Vlad

--
  V S P