[Twisted-Python] Recursive filescanning in Twisted??

Thomas Weholt thomas.weholt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 17:50:55 EDT 2004

Ok, all the stuff about AIO ( I guess it's async. IO ) and IOCP
doesn't mean much to me right now, but is it possible to just throw
the heavy, blocking code into a seperate thread and synchronize
writing data to the database, which is the only thing the seperate
thread and the main thread Twisted is running in is sharing? Or I'm I
over-simplifying things?

Any such example if doable would be great. Thanks for your input so far.

Thomas

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:03:17 -0400, Jp Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> Jeff Bowden wrote:
> > On Linux, file descriptors for disk files are always "ready".
>
>   Right.
>
> > Since
> > twisted is based on select() or poll() I'm guessing you will end up
> > actually blocking on file reads.
>
>   Right.
>
> > I think you can get non-blocking file
> > reads using the new AIO stuff
>
>   On some systems, right.
>
> > but it's not really a good match for a
> > single process server like twisted.
>
>   Hmm.  Why do you say this?  It's true that AIO will require reactor
> support (IOCP is essentially such a reactor, except for Windows).  I
> don't see a problem with using AIO in a single process, though, and
> apparently neither did Pavel when he wrote IOCP.
>
> > I don't know about BSD/OSX or Windows.
>
>   KQueue supports on-disk files, I suspect.  There is no working KQueue
> reactor, though, so that takes care of BSD/OSX.  Windows has IO
> Completion Ports, which IOCP uses (hence the name ;).
>
>   Jp

Mvh,
Thomas Weholt
http://www.weholt.org - thomas krøll weholt dått org