[Twisted-Python] 111: Connection refused

George Schlossnagle george at omniti.com
Tue Aug 3 16:29:05 EDT 2004

On Aug 3, 2004, at 4:16 PM, Damon Fasching wrote:

> Hi Itamar,
>
> --- Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org>
> wrote:

>>> No, but I can't telnet into the machine on which
>>> everything works either.  No daemon.
>>
>> Telnet to the port where PB is running I mean. e.g.
>> telnet host 9767.
>
> I can't telnet into the PB port on either machine; the
> machine where PB does accept connections or the one
> where it doesn't.  Wouldn't I need telnetd running to
> do this even if I specify the port?

No.  telnet simply establishes a tcp connection on that port.  So for
example, to 'manually' pull a page from a webserver you can do:

telnet www.example.com 80

and then when the prompt returns issue an HTTP request manually a la:

GET / HTTP/1.0

In this case, telnet'ing to the port that your server is supposedly
binding to will establish whether or not anything is bound to the
specified port.  You should also run 'netstat -an | grep LISTEN' on
your server and look for the port number that you are trying to bind
to.

> Can anyone tell me what I need to have
> enabled/set/configured in order for my Redhat box to
> accept connections on a PB server?

I think you need to figure out what the problem is first.  Is the
server not binding?  Is it firewalled off, etc.

George