[Twisted-Python] 111: Connection refused

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Tue Aug 3 16:48:10 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 01:16:21PM -0700, Damon Fasching wrote:
> Hi Itamar,
>
> --- Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Telnet to the port where PB is running I mean. e.g.
> > telnet host 9767.
>
> I can't telnet into the PB port on either machine; the
> machine where PB does accept connections or the one
> where it doesn't.  Wouldn't I need telnetd running to
> do this even if I specify the port?

No, telnet just opens a socket.  You can telnet to any port, and it will
establish a connection if the port is open.  You can even send messages to
text-based protocols, such as HTTP, for instance (I've marked the lines I
typed, the rest is the reply from the server):

    $ telnet www.twistedmatrix.com 80
    Trying 198.49.126.190...
    Connected to twistedmatrix.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
 -> HEAD / HTTP/1.0
 ->
    HTTP/1.0 200 OK
    Last-Modified: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:13:39 GMT