[Twisted-Python] GitHub Twisted organization/repo

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Tue Mar 26 13:07:18 EDT 2013

On 26 March 2013 18:11, Tom Prince <tom.prince at ualberta.net> wrote:
> Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> writes:
>
>> I now see that Tom Prince has already created git branches on GitHub
>> for the ticket he is reviewing. Many thanks!
>
> My repo is actually currently updated via a post-commit
> hook. Eventually, that will change to point at twisted/twisted on
> github, but I want to run it for a bit against an unofficial repo first.

>> I have already started creating git branches on GitHub for all my
>> patched for Twisted. I found it much pleasant to send a "live patch"
>> URL rather than a static attached diff file.
>
> One reason this is frowned on, is that the code then only exists in an
> external resource that may disappear or change without notice. That
> means that the work can be lost.
>
> There have been a number of code hosting sites that have disappeared,
> and that would take any contributions hosted only there with them.
>
> https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/report/16 has a bunch of old tickets that
> mostly with some code, that would potentially been lost.

I understand this and I am not requesting to move the code to GitHub.
I don't think that this is a god idea.

I was only asking about GitHub mirrors.
The main request for this thread was to have a single source repo
mirror for Twisted in GitHub.
Now there are at least 2.

Now there are also 2 unrelated branches in GitHub for the same
twisted, my original branch and Tom's mirror.

>> I understand that moving from SVN to GIT is not easy and if core
>> developers can create and share SVN branches there is no big
>> inconvenience.
>
> I don't know if there is a desire to move to git. In any case, before
> any such migration can occur. Namely, updating all the hooks and tools
> to work with whatever vcs is being switched to. My impression is that,
> at least at one point, bzr was a more likely choice of distributed vcs
> to switch to.

I am not requesting to move to Git.

I was just expressing my frustration that attaching patch files to
Trac is not fun, and working with read-only SVN is not fun, and
following out-of-line review comments is not fun.

--
Adi Roiban