[Twisted-Python] Twisted Names strings

Angelo Dell'Aera angelo.dellaera at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:23:30 EST 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:15:03 -0800
Glyph <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2013, at 9:19 AM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>
> > (although testing during the /pre/-release period would have saved
> > everyone some trouble :).
>
> This bears repeating!  Not to harass you, Angelo - dealing with a
> regression in Twisted that breaks your app is punishment enough :) -
> but to remind everyone that this is exactly why we have the
> pre-release testing period.
>
> When you get the 13.0 release announcement, please remember that you
> only have a week!  All you need to do is to run your respective test
> suite and send a short email saying if you found any issues.  (Filing
> a ticket would be nice, but if that's too much work, don't worry
> about it: for pre-release regressions, we'll file tickets and work on
> patches for you.)

Hi Glyph,
you're absolutely right and I'll try to do the best I can to contribute to such
effort from now on.

But let me say that I usually take a look at NEWS.txt before upgrading in
order to understand if the changes can impact my code and act properly in
such case. I think this case is quite different because I see no attempts to
properly handle code which worked perfectly fine in 12.2.0 (if the string is
not a bytestring raise TypeError and game over) and the new bytestring
requirement is not mentioned at all in NEWS.txt.

Just thinking that maybe being a little more backward-compatible and/or
verbose in ChangeLog when introducing potentially disrupting changes
could greatly help in identifying issues like this one.

Thanks,

--

Angelo Dell'Aera 'buffer'
Antifork Research, Inc.		http://buffer.antifork.org