[Twisted-Python] How to bisect Twisted?

Peter Westlake peter.westlake at pobox.com
Thu Aug 12 10:49:03 EDT 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:49 +1000, "Tim Allen" <screwtape at froup.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 05:30:36PM +0100, Peter Westlake wrote:
> > In the Git version of the Twisted source code, there are tags for
> > releases, e.g. the revision with SHA id
> > 85a6a0f9e3c4ea22d1d72d4ca8eb0c08ee99ca85 corresponds to 8.0.0.
>
> When you say "git version of the Twisted source code", do you mean the
> official git described here?
>
>     http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/GitMirror

Yes, that's the one.

> Do tags for the various Twisted releases show up if you run:
>
>     git tag -l
>
> ?

The only output is:

   svn/releases

Looking at the repo with "gitk --all", that appears to be the
name of a branch that is completely disconnected from all other
revisions. Its first change has no parent.

> > This is
> > good, but there aren't any intermediate changes on that branch (tag?),
> > just the releases! So there isn't much for "git bisect" to work with.
> > I'm trying to trace a bug that wasn't in 2.5.0 but is in 8.0.0; what
> > arguments should I give to bisect? Apologies if this is obvious to
> > anyone who knows how to use git, but I'm just a beginner.
>
> I haven't used the official git mirror myself, but I have my own mirror
> created with "git-svn". It looks like git-svn got very confused about
> Twisted's release-tagging system; of all the tags I see listed at:
>
>     http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/tags
>
> ...the only thing in .git/refs/remotes/tags is the "releases"
> subdirectory, which isn't actually a proper tag at all.
>
> So, uh, yeah, I'm stumped.
>
> If you *do* figure out what to do, though, feel free to add it to the
> GitMirror wiki-page - or I'd be happy to write it up for you.

Thanks! Jonathan's pointer to the list of revisions ought to be
enough for me to start bisecting, and I'll try to figure out what's
happening in Git as I go along.

Thanks for the help,

Peter.