[Twisted-Python] How to bisect Twisted?

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Wed Aug 11 22:49:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 05:30:36PM +0100, Peter Westlake wrote:
> In the Git version of the Twisted source code, there are tags for
> releases, e.g. the revision with SHA id
> 85a6a0f9e3c4ea22d1d72d4ca8eb0c08ee99ca85 corresponds to 8.0.0.

When you say "git version of the Twisted source code", do you mean the
official git described here?

    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/GitMirror

Do tags for the various Twisted releases show up if you run:

    git tag -l

?

> This is
> good, but there aren't any intermediate changes on that branch (tag?),
> just the releases! So there isn't much for "git bisect" to work with.
> I'm trying to trace a bug that wasn't in 2.5.0 but is in 8.0.0; what
> arguments should I give to bisect? Apologies if this is obvious to
> anyone who knows how to use git, but I'm just a beginner.

I haven't used the official git mirror myself, but I have my own mirror
created with "git-svn". It looks like git-svn got very confused about
Twisted's release-tagging system; of all the tags I see listed at:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/browser/tags

...the only thing in .git/refs/remotes/tags is the "releases"
subdirectory, which isn't actually a proper tag at all.

So, uh, yeah, I'm stumped.

If you *do* figure out what to do, though, feel free to add it to the
GitMirror wiki-page - or I'd be happy to write it up for you.