[Twisted-Python] How to bisect Twisted?

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Wed Aug 11 22:49:25 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 05:30:36PM +0100, Peter Westlake wrote:
> In the Git version of the Twisted source code, there are tags for
> releases, e.g. the revision with SHA id
> 85a6a0f9e3c4ea22d1d72d4ca8eb0c08ee99ca85 corresponds to 8.0.0.

When you say "git version of the Twisted source code", do you mean the
official git described here?

Do tags for the various Twisted releases show up if you run:
    git tag -l

> This is
> good, but there aren't any intermediate changes on that branch (tag?),
> just the releases! So there isn't much for "git bisect" to work with.
> I'm trying to trace a bug that wasn't in 2.5.0 but is in 8.0.0; what
> arguments should I give to bisect? Apologies if this is obvious to
> anyone who knows how to use git, but I'm just a beginner.

I haven't used the official git mirror myself, but I have my own mirror
created with "git-svn". It looks like git-svn got very confused about
Twisted's release-tagging system; of all the tags I see listed at:

...the only thing in .git/refs/remotes/tags is the "releases"
subdirectory, which isn't actually a proper tag at all.

So, uh, yeah, I'm stumped.

If you *do* figure out what to do, though, feel free to add it to the
GitMirror wiki-page - or I'd be happy to write it up for you.