[Twisted-Python] Re: [Twisted-commits] r17325 - merge sob-491, fixes #491

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jun 21 13:12:10 EDT 2006

On 6/21/06, Cory Dodt <corydodt at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> I'm all for a structured development process, but this is just being pedantic
> for the sake of being pedantic.  Please tell me, how does following this rigid
> log message structure help speed twisted development?  How does it contribute
> to the overall quality of Twisted in any substantive way?
> >  <line of 78 or fewer characters summarizing change>
> Be serious.  The haranguing about this kind of stuff is getting so tiresome
> that I've stopped making any serious attempts to commit to the trunk.  As long
> as the necessary information is in there, who the heck cares how it's
> formatted?  I see that glyph looked at the bug and pronounced it acceptable.
> It was possible to look this up in the bug, which is how I found out, spending
> all of 10 seconds on it.

While I don't care so much  how it's 78 characters, I *do* care about
all the missing information in that commit message, given that I'm one
of the guys who has to read through commit logs while building a NEWS
file for the release. This is a good policy and everyone's been
following it beautifully for a while now.

Christopher Armstrong
International Man of Twistery