[Twisted-Python] Re: Antwort: Re: (no subject)

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Tue May 6 16:40:37 EDT 2003

I'm just trying to extract the relevant code out of my project.
I think the problem is less to use xrc, but more how to make the thing
interact with Twisted.
To detail what I'm doing:

I create a twisted server listening on two ports. One is the main application
port handled with auth via pb
The other is a pure "update" port, handled with a normal pb.root object.
My application first connects to the "updater" and checks for updates. If any,
the files get downloaded and stored. AFTER that I start creating the gui, so
if the .xrc file changed it will be reflected.
This has two major flaws:
1) there is a size limitation in twisted for 640k max transfer size.
2) you need to use at least 2 xrc files, one containing the main frame and one
for the rest. This is because you can't have a wxApp running properly without
a wxFrame instance - which is created from the first xrc file.
You could install upgrades before even creating an wxApp object, but assuming
you have a large update with a lot of files the user doesn't see anything
happening, so probably he starts the application a second time.
What I'll intend to do about that is to restart the application whenever the
mainframe xrc get's updated. Maybe I'll do this in a wrapper (shell or so)
catching the exit value of the application.

UC