[Twisted-Python] Another nit on "Generalization of Deferred Execution in Python"

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Fri Jan 17 15:32:36 EST 2003

On Friday 17 January 2003 09:34 am, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
>         http://cumulo-nimbus.mit.edu/deferex.xhtml
> 	You call this "pretty"?
> def prettyRequest(server, requestName):
>     return server.makeRequest(requestName
>                               ).addCallback(
>         lambda result: ', '.join(result.asList())
>         ).addErrback(
>         lambda failure: failure.printTraceback())
> 	How about
> def prettyRequest(server, requestName):
>     d=server.makeRequest(requestName)
>     d.addCallback(lambda result: ', '.join(result.asList()))
>     d.addErrback(lambda failure: failure.printTraceback())
>     return d
> 	I'm pretty sure everyone will consider that more readable.

You've raised an issue I've wondered about as I've looked at some of the
Twisted source. There seems to be a fondness for returning large
expressions, rather than building up a return value in a more piecemeal
(and more easily read and understood) fashion. Is this simply a matter of
style, or is there something substantial going on here related to the
nature of Twisted? My own code tends to look more like your second example.

Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien
"Your source for Python programming expertise."