[Twisted-Python] SURVEY: For Twisted users, please answer

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Apr 24 12:59:52 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Apr 24, 2003, at 06:30 America/New_York, William Dode

> Itamar Shtull-Trauring <itamar at itamarst.org> writes:
>> 1. Do you require Python 2.1 support in Twisted? If so, for what
>> reason?
>> How problematic would a switch to 2.2 be for you? Please try to answer
>> within a week so we can have some immediate info.
> no. But why don't wait somes month and switch directly to python2.3 ?

Well I don't think any of us have found that python 2.3 has significant
new conveniences that can't be done adequately in 2.2 (i.e., it's
possible to implement the itertools module in pure python, emulate the
new dict creation behavior, etc.).  It seems to be mostly new modules,
bugfixes, and performance enhancements.  Moving from 2.1 to 2.2 does
have significant new features, though (mostly generators and new style

Also, when 2.3 is released, hopefully in a few months, it'll probably
take the better part of a year /after/ that for python 2.3 to come into
common use (i.e. ISPs, linux distributions, etc.).