[Twisted-Python] SURVEY: For Twisted users, please answer

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Thu Apr 24 22:12:28 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 03:48:27PM -0400, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
| 1. Do you require Python 2.1 support in Twisted? If so, for what reason?
| How problematic would a switch to 2.2 be for you? Please try to answer
| within a week so we can have some immediate info.

I use 2.2 in my production environment.  However...

Python 2.1 was the "blessed" version of Python that Guido had
said would be supported for a _long_ time out (like 1.5 was).
It is also, as Moshe points out, the Debian standard and I know
many debian people who won't be upgrading.    This may play
a role in 'hosted environments' where people would like to
deploy Twisted, but really can't reinstall Python.

Also, with etrepum's recent patches to twisted.python.compat,
much Twisted can still use the iterator protocol (compatible
with 2.1).   Re-writing generators as 2.1 iterators is tedious,
but quite straight forward.

I can see some places where the use of generators is too much of
a goodness to pass up.   Why not mark those modules explicitly,
and make them 2.2 only?  For example, Woven could probably really
use 2.2 features.   In this way those users who insist on 2.1 can
use the bulk of (but perhaps not all of) Twisted, in such a way
that we don't compromise future development.

Also, someone posted that it didn't take too many changes to
make Twisted 2.0 compatible.  Perhaps we should consider
committing those changes.   Nested scopes are nice, especially
in application code, but they certainly arn't essential
to library development.

Best,

Clark