[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted 1.0.4 - `html' .vs. `xhtml'

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Tue Apr 22 10:23:27 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:50:53AM -0400, Francois Pinard wrote:
> [Moshe Zadka]
>
> > > P.S. - I'm using `links' by preference (fast startup and reasonable
> > > image support), which `links' does not seem to support `.xhtml' files.
>
> > Either fix links, or use a real browser like lynx or w3m.
>
> So, in your opinion, any browser which does not grok `.xhtml' is not real?
> Happily enough, my preferred non-real browser is very useful as it stands,
> and it seems that `.xhtml' is still exceptional rather than the usual in
> real life, for a tremendous lot of people.  Ah, religions, religions... :-)
> I hope Twisted is its own goal, and not an occasion for random proletysm!

Well, links could be more intelligent here, and it seems other browsers
manage to figure this out just fine.  Neither the presence of a <!DOCTYPE
...> declaration or the opening <html> tag seem sufficient for links to
realise that it is dealing with actual HTML.  Additionally, I wasn't able to
successfully configure my local links to recognise .xhtml as being
html/plain content, even though the menus seemed to suggest I could (it
happily accepted the entry, but the behaviour was unchanged).

I don't regard it as a major problem, though: in links you can hit "\" and
then it works.  Other browsers I've tried all seem fine -- as is links if
you are reading it off the website, which of course sets the Content-type
HTTP header.  Considering that you are the first person to report this
problem, I doubt this is worth the effort for us to "fix".

You are welcome to locally rename or symlink the .xhtml files to .html if
you're really inconvenienced by this ;)

Or you can read the .ps or .pdf format -- or read it from the website, which
works around links' limitations.

> I hope Twisted is its own goal, and not an occasion for random proletysm!

The true goal of Twisted is to DESTROY THE SUN, of course.  Random proletysm
is merely a distraction we create so that no-one will stop us!  Muahahahaha!

-Andrew.