[Twisted-Python] Components

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Oct 22 21:40:04 EDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:00:45 -0500 (CDT), <developer at csrules.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Could i wrap my business objects with PB and expose them [as with COM]?

Not quite.  Insofar as PB is a "competing technology", it is competing with
DCOM, not COM.  Think of it like this: COM:DCOM::Python:PB.  COM is an object
model; Python is an object model.  You can give your objects COM stubs or you
can give them Python wrappers.  Then, you can publish Python objects by
wrapping them with pb.Referenceable or doing the appropriate DCOM things.

However, as MSFT is no longer pushing DCOM, and instead focusing on SOAP, you
can see it as "competing" with that standard.

This metaphor is not perfect, but it should give you a better idea.  PB is
specifically for objects communicating over "long" distances, between
segregated "vats" of objects (c.f. http://www.erights.org/) and not to provide
function pointers between objects that live in the same address space.

--
 |    <`'>    |  Glyph Lefkowitz: Travelling Sorcerer  |
 |   < _/ >   |  Lead Developer,  the Twisted project  |