[Twisted-Python] Completely new to twisted - where to get some background?

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Oct 21 19:34:06 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 08:48:01PM +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> Jp Calderone <exarkun at meson.dyndns.org> writes:
>
> >   Twisted is definitely suited for this :)  I'm not aware of a document that
> > is directly relevant to what you want to do, because it's not too deeply
> > related to Twisted.  Hopefully what needs to be done will be clear after you
> > check out the code I mentioned above.
>
> Indeed, it became a lot clearer, very fast. I was getting bogged down
> in concepts (Perspective Broker, reactors...) which didn't seem
> relevant to me (and weren't, as it happened). Maybe some sort of

The CVS version of Twisted now has a glossary in the docs -- the idea
being that you'd be able to say "Perspective Broker?  What the hell is
that?  <check glossary>... Oh, ok, that's something else, so I can
ignore that...".  I'd be interested to know if it really is useful for
you?

> documentation roadmap ("If you are trying to do XXX, then start with
> documents YYY, ZZZ") would be useful. Your suggestions certainly got
> me on the right track, starting from "I want to implement a server",
> and "I want to implement a *news* server, specifically".

Of course, then there's all the variations -- "I want to implement a
{mail,web,finger,etc} server" -- which is an awful lot of documentation.
If you'd like to help us by writing a the "I want to implement a news
server" doc, that would help alot :)

-Andrew.