[Divunal-devel] Changes to twisted.reality.NCU,V,P

James Knight jknight@MIT.EDU
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 16:36:40 -0400

At 12:00 PM -0400 6/19/99, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>James, Mike: this function is declared void, it is not intended to return
>success or failure, since those terms are all but meaningless in the
>context of TR -- if you are going to be writing any AI code, please write
>a new class (twisted.reality.AI extends Player for example) and add hooks
>so that people can load modules to interpret calls to hears(), discover
>information about their current focus, etc...

I feel fairly strongly that interpreting hears results of verbs is a bad
way to do it, mainly because it is a complete waste of CPU time.
Translating the result into a string and then back again, instead of having
some other method of getting info out is just silly. (not to mention easy
to break, if someone comes along and changes the string that is returned
from a verb.) However, I don't have a good grasp on exactly how I would
prefer to get info out, or even what info I would like to get out, so I
guess it will have to stay for now. The other choice, of course, is to not
make AIs use verbs at all, but instead just do their own stuff. I find this
to be a poor choice as well.
-James

--
You are in a maze of testy little Java VMs, all subtly different.