[Divunal-author] stir-fry of leftover dreams

Allen Short washort@twistedmatrix.com
Sun, 04 May 2003 21:45:25 -0500 (CDT)

----Security_Multipart(Sun_May__4_21:45:25_2003_610)--

We've discussed contents for the tutorial before, here's the bits i
remember from it:

picking locks
traversing warpgates
dealing with bulk/weight constraints (a wall you cant climb while
holding something heavy, a gap you cant squeeze through holding
something bulky)
manipulating standard machinery (buttons, levers, knobs)

And then some ideas for what happens after entering the library for
the first time. A few months back, glyph and i talked about this: my
feverishly scribbled notes indicated something like registering for an
apartment, which you would access via elevator and the barcode on your
hand. We had discussed having one wall contain an empty picture frame
with a black button beneath it; pressing it would cause a face to
extrude from the wall, which would then tell the player what to do. We
considered the possibility of the Face speaking in rhyme or meter or
alliteration, or something equally peculiar. The goals we discussed
involved locating and destroying (or sacrificing to the Face) fuel
sources; the idea being that the Face is an agent of entropy and
doesn't like seeing that much energy density. For this, the player is
rewarded in some fashion, and it will be consistent but
low-paying. IIRC, we talked about the Face ultimately making larger
and larger demands, the aim being to make players realize that
listening to it is probably a bad idea. Oh, and sticking other things
with buttons to the wall later may have interesting effects on the
wall and on the Face.